Now Playing
106.7 The Eagle
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
106.7 The Eagle

national

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

5 arrested for murder of New York teen who was hacked to death with machete

Police arrested five people Sunday in connection with a brutal machete attack on a teen outside a Bronx bodega earlier in the week. 

>> Read more trending news

Lesandro Guzman-Feliz, 15, was pulled out of the Cruz and Chiky grocery Wednesday by members of the Dominican gang Trinitarios, who beat him, hacked him with a machete and left him to die on the sidewalk outside the store in what officials believe was a case of mistaken identity, according to the New York Post

Gang members wrongly believed Guzman-Feliz was in a revenge sex video posted online that featured a relative of one of the attackers, according to the Post

A leader of the gang later apologized on Facebook for the mistake, according to WPIX

The teen’s mother said her son was a good boy who had never been in a gang. He was a member of the NYPD Explorers Program for Youth and dreamed of one day becoming a detective, Leandra Feliz told the Post

“Since he was 5 years old, he told me, ‘Mommy, I want to be a police,’” she said. 

The identities of the suspects have not yet been released.

GoFundMe account, set up to help the family pay for funeral expenses and other costs has raised more than $125,000 as of Sunday evening.

Suspect accused in mentally disabled woman's assault was once police chief

Roughly 20 years before Robert Lanier New became embroiled in assault allegations tied to a mentally disabled woman and her niece, he served as the police chief in Emerson. 

>> Read more trending news

City officials confirmed to WSB-TV that New had two stints with Emerson police. New first served with the department from September 1998 to February 1999, when he left to work for Acworth police, where he remained until November 2000, when he came back to Emerson police. 

He was promoted to police chief three weeks after his return. 

New resigned in 2004 to work as a government contractor, officials told WSB-TV. Shortly after, New joined the Cobb County Police Department in February 2005. 

But as quickly as New climbed up the ranks, his professional life started to fray. 

Cobb County Police Chief Mike Register hinted New’s future with the department could be decided early next week, according to WSB-TV. New has been on administrative leave without pay since allegations surfaced earlier this week that he assaulted a 44-year-old woman who has the mental capacity of a 10- to 14-year-old in his home. He was off duty at the time of the alleged abuse. 

According to an arrest warrant obtained Tuesday by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, New choked the woman and slapped both sides of her face during sex to the point that she cried. The woman told officers that with New’s hands around her throat, she wasn’t able to tell him to stop, the warrant alleges.

The incident happened sometime between March 1 and March 31 at his home in Kennesaw, according to police. New was off duty at the time. 

During her interview, the woman was reportedly “shaking due to fear,” police said.

The victim’s allegations were corroborated through text messages on her phone, according to the warrant.

“The accused made the statements through text messages, ‘I am in charge, I am in control,’” police said. The threatening messages allegedly continued even after the victim attempted to distance herself from New, as recently as March 31, police said.

No decision has been made on whether the department will fire New. 

“The recommendation is in the county attorney’s office for their review,” Register said. “That will be disclosed when we’re in agreement with the county attorney’s office.”

New charges were filed against the 46-year-old Thursday alleging he attempted to solicit the woman and her 12-year-old niece for sex. Police believe New was using the woman to try to get to her niece, Cobb police Officer Sarah O’Hara told The AJC. New met the woman online, but police are still investigating which website the two used. 

New remains in the Cobb County jail without bond on charges of aggravated assault-strangulation, simple battery, criminal solicitation and computer pornography. 

New is also being investigated for an administrative complaint filed with the department. Register said that complaint was not criminal, but involves another woman.

“We are investigating if he adhered to departmental policies,” Register said.

The complaint was filed weeks before the first allegations emerged against New.

Dwyane Wade says he wants to bring Sonics back to Seattle

Future basketball hall of famer Dwyane Wade may still have a couple seasons left in his tank, but he’s also already thinking about what will come next for him when his playing career ends. 

>> Read more trending news

"Seattle. I want Seattle's team, the Sonics, to come back," Wade told Joel Weber, of Bloomberg, regarding his hope to one day be part of an ownership group in the NBA. "I think Seattle is a great basketball town. I would love to be a part of that."

"I definitely want to be a part of ownership in the NBA. I'm not going to try to buy a team. I don't have that kind of bread, but I definitely want to be a part of a great ownership group. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver is all about players being involved in an ownership capacity. You've got players like Grant Hill involved in the Atlanta Hawks. Shaquille O'Neal is involved in the Sacramento Kings. It's definitely something that I've talked about, some of my friends have talked about. But, first of all, I’d have to be retired. When that time comes...”

The 36-year-old NBA star recently finished his 15th NBA season, in which he split time between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Miami Heat. 

Originally the third overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft out of Marquette University, Wade has won three NBA titles and has been named to the All-star game 12 times. 

The Sonics officially left Seattle for Oklahoma City after the 2007-2008 NBA season ended and a $75 million settlement was announced between owner Clay Bennett and the city of Seattle.

Saudi air defenses intercept 2 missiles from Yemen, state media says

Saudi Arabia’s state-run television station said Sunday that the country’s air defense intercepted two ballistic missiles launched over Riyadh, Reuters reported.

>> Read more trending news

The attack, which the station alleged was  launched by Yemen’s Houthi militia, is at least the sixth to target Riyadh since December.

Six blasts were heard and bright flashes were seen in the sky over the Saudi capital city, Reuters reported.

There were no reported casualties or damage, a witness told Reuters.

There was no comment from Saudi officials authorities or from the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen against the Houthi movement.

Photos: Pride parades 

Sarah Huckabee Sanders' tweet about restaurant eviction violates law, ex-ethics chief says

The former head of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics said that White House press secretary Sarah Sanders’ tweet Saturday about being kicked out of a Virginia restaurant violated federal ethics laws, The Slate reported.

Walter Shaub, the federal government’s top ethics watchdog for five years until mid-2017, said the tweet was a violation of the law because Sanders used her government account -- instead of her personal Twitter account -- to address the issue.

“Sarah, I know you don’t care even a tiny little bit about the ethics rules, but using your official account for this is a clear violation of 5 CFR 2635.702(a),” Shaub tweeted. “It’s the same as if an ATF agent pulled out his badge when a restaurant tried to throw him/her out.”

Sanders was asked to leave the Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia, on Friday night. She confirmed the incident with her Saturday tweet.

>> Sarah Huckabee Sanders kicked out of Red Hen restaurant

Sanders’ tweet from her official @PressSec account noted that the restaurant owner’s actions “say far more about her than about me.”

Shaub later tweeted that Sanders used her official government account “to condemn a private business for personal reasons.”

Former White House lawyer Ian Bassin said on Twitter that Sanders’ tweet would have been acceptable under her personal account, but not from her White House one.

“I think there’d have to be some argument that it was in service of the American people and not me personally. But read Sanders’ tweet. It doesn’t claim to be about public; the whole thing is ‘I’ and ‘me.’” Reads like it’s personal, which is fine from a personal account, not WH one,”” Bassin tweeted.

Red Hen owner Stephanie Wilkinson said she personally asked Sanders to leave the restaurant.

“I’m not a huge fan of confrontation,” Red Hen owner Stephanie Wilkinson told The Washington Post. “I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals.”

When asked to leave, Sanders’ response was immediate, Wilkinson told the Post. “‘That’s fine. I’ll go.’ ”

The Red Hen’s Facebook and Yelp pages were bombarded with reviews from people from both sides.

While some praised the restaurant, many others said the owner was being “intolerant.”

This comes after Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen bolted from a Washington, D.C. Mexican restaurant after protesters confronted her at her table -- with the blessing of the manager.

New Hampshire boy, 2, rescued after being trapped under rock pile

Police and fire officials in New Hampshire rescued a 2-year-old boy who was trapped under a pile of rocks Friday.

>> Read more trending news 

Portsmouth authorities responded to a call around 5:40 p.m. At the scene, officials found the boy pinned between large slabs of stone.

Preliminary investigation showed the boy had been playing atop one of the stone slabs with his grandfather when the slab he was standing on dislodged, causing the boy to fall forward and become trapped by the slab, which came to rest on his head.

“Essentially, this child was lying between a slab of granite with another on top of him and the disruption any more of that pile could cause catastrophic results," Portsmouth police Sgt. Kuffer Kaltenborn said.

The stone slabs, which are being stored in the yard, are intended to make up the foundation of a seawall that is currently under construction. Each stone slab is estimated to weigh several hundreds of pounds.

Luckily, the responding officer turned out to have previous experience as a professional stone mason who specialized in historical foundation repair.

Portsmouth police Officer T.J. Potter's experience helped him accurately assess the damage the child was in and properly remove the slabs from atop the child.

"(It was) a five-man stone or a five-man block which indicated that you would need 4-5 people to life it and set it on a wall, and we have done stones like that and built with stones like that so I knew we could lift it by hand," Potter said. "I think that was the main concern -- can we lift it off the boy?"

The situation was highly delicate as one of the stone slabs was resting on the child's head, and could give way at any moment, putting the child at risk of suffering the full weight of the stone on his head.

Thanks to a coordinated effort by police and firefighters, it only took nine minutes for the child to be freed from the weight of the stones. The child's parents were able to keep him calm as first responders worked their way around the stone slabs and rescued him.

The child was then given emergency medical treatment at the scene to evaluate him for any traumas and then was transported to the Portsmouth Regional Hospital where he is still being treated for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

Royals consider signing college pitcher who pleaded guilty to child molestation charge

The Kansas City Royals are considering signing Oregon State pitcher Luke Heimlich, who pleaded guilty as a 15-year-old to molesting his 6-year-old niece, The Kansas City Star reported.

>> Read more trending news

“We continue to seek information that allows us to be comfortable in pursuing Luke,” Royals general manager Dayton Moore said.

In 2012, Heimlich pleaded guilty to child molestation in Washington, Sports Illustrated reported.

According to court documents obtained by The Oregonian, the first time Heimlich molested his niece was when she was 4. He admitted he had “sexual contact” with the girl, The Oregonian reported.

Heimlich and his Oregon State teammates advanced to the College World Series championship series on Saturday, beating Mississippi State 5-2.

For the second straight year, Heimlich was not selected in the Major League Baseball Draft. 

Even though Heimlich is a two-time Pac-12 pitcher of the year, activist Brenda Tracy told the Star the 22-year-old should not be signed.

“I’m sorry, but Luke does not deserve to be on that platform and pedestal, (potentially) looked up to and adored by millions of people, including young kids,” Tracy, a survivor of a gang rape in Corvallis, Oregon, said Saturday. “We should never normalize, we should never minimize (what Heimlich pleaded guilty to). If the Royals bring him on their team, they are complicit in normalizing and minimizing.”

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Heimlich denied touching his niece despite his guilty plea. 

“I pled guilty to it, but ever since that day and even before that, in court records and everything, I’ve denied ever committing the offense,” Heimlich told the magazine. “I stand by that.”

Memphis funeral home hit by lightning, burns down moments before service

Tennessee funeral home burst into flames after it was hit by lightning, moments before a service Saturday morning.

>> Read more trending news

Storms blew through Memphis on Saturday, bringing strong winds and dangerous lightning. Around 8:30 a.m., lightning hit the Forest Hill Funeral Home.

Relatives and friends had gathered for the funeral of Crystal Hudson, 39, who died from pneumonia on June 18.

“I prayed to God, please do not make me have to bury her in the rain. I told him, I didn’t care how we did it, just please don’t make us bury her in the rain,” said Yolanda Griffin, Hudson’s mother.

Hudson was described as an amazing mother and the life of the party.

“She’s missed, I’m telling you, she’s left a huge hole in our lives," Griffin said.

Hudson’s funeral was set for 10 a.m. Saturday.

“When we arrived at the funeral home, it was on fire, up in blazes; luckily, they were able to get her body out, so we’re grateful for that," Murray Jividen said.

NASCAR pit reporter Wendy Venturini hit by car while jogging

NASCAR pit reporter Wendy Venturini suffered a skull fracture and concussion Saturday after she was hit by a car while jogging in Novato, California, according to a news release from Venturini Racing.

>> Read more trending news

Venturini, 39, was in California to cover Sunday’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 NASCAR Cup race in Sonoma. She will remain in the hospital for several days, the news release said.

“She’s completely coherent and conversational, and I have talked to her on two occasions today," said Doug Rice, president and general manager of Performance Racing Network. "They told her she would have a really good headache for a couple of days.”

Venturini's father, Bill, is a two-time Auto Racing Club of America champion who founded Venturini Motorsports in 1982, The Sporting News reported.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >